Feb 27, 2009

Words of Wisdom

Yesterday, Adrianna approached me and asked if I heard her practicing "Oh, I Wish I Was in Winn Dixie" on the piano. (She has seen the movie and ? thinks that is a city in the south? )
Solomon was reading to me some story with a character by the name of Will. He found this terribly funny for some reason and I asked him if he knew what my Dad's name is (William). He responded in a very sarcastic, confident bordering on arrogant tone, and said "OF COURSE, DADDY"! (We didn't name him Solomon for nothing).

Most kids go through a phase when potty words or any words having to do with bodily functions are extremely funny. If someone tries to suggest that perhaps we shouldn't make fun of perfectly normal but sometimes personal incidents, they become even more tantalizing to the tongue. Solomon has been a bit delayed with his interest in these ideas and has begun repeating things that don't even make sense just to hear the word. Several days ago I was applying creme to Franchesca's hands for winter dry skin and he began insisting that he have some. When I told him his skin is as soft as a baby's bottom he busted out and hasn't stopped exclaiming the beauty and sheer genius of that phrase.

Words take on an entire new meaning when they rhyme with gas or butt.

Oh, I wish I WAS in Dixie, or anywhere warm and sunny.

(Pic from Florida 2005)


No comments: