May 13, 2012

I think I found my voice

My friend gave me this journal
for my birthday.
(I fashioned the ribbon around it, not her.
it served as my "lock".
You see, locking journals are only to be found
with Justin Biebers face on the front)
I have gone a long, long time
without writing.
Really writing.

I have been able to blog
(and let us get real, this is a little history for us to look back
someday and remember a few particular moments.)
I am not a blogger.
For goodness sakes, I have 3 followers.
I can sign a card or and give suggestions on homework
and do timed writing of silly sorts with Adrianna.
But writing has eluded me.
I have eluded myself.
Sometimes when you have given up,
quit looking, trying, wanting, wondering,
things have a way of settling just right.
On their own.
That's how it was with my voice.
Thank goodness that was not the only journal
she has given me.

I searched around locally for a writing desk
as had some birthday money and knew that's what it was destined for.
I looked online for ideas.
What I wanted was something really simple.
With a lock.
I sketched out (as well as a toddler can)
my idea and my husband whipped it up
seemingly overnight.

He even routered a strong sentiment in the bottom of the drawer.
In script.
It has a tiny magnet underneath, upon which the key can hang.
Pretty clever, but you know I cannot keep it there.


Because now you know.
And my voice found me.

1 comment:

K.V. said...

Beautiful words, beautiful desk, beautiful family.